Whole School Engagement
List of Unified Schools
For General information on IUS please contact: TBA
Special Olympics Pennsylvania Interscholastic Unified Sports (IUS) is a fully-inclusive co-ed high school sports program which successfully facilitates social inclusion by bringing together a proportional number of students with and without intellectual disabilities on teams for training and competition.
Impact of Interscholastic Unified Sports:
- Fosters social inclusion as students and teammates with and without disabilities become friends.
- Creates school climates that promote respect, acceptance, and diversity. Students are valued for their unique talents and skills.
- Reduces bullying through empowerment, awareness, and engagement while also improving health and fitness, especially for students with disabilities facing higher risks.
- Develops character, life skills, and enhanced self-esteem as youth become core leaders in their school communities using Unified Sports and Spread the Word to End the Word as the catalyst for impacting change in a school climate.
- Administrators and teachers take the educated risk to support the vision and insight of youth to create inclusive environments in their schools through Unified Sports and youth leadership opportunities with a clear vision of impacting school environments.
- The inspiration and passion that comes from experiencing Special Olympics sports motivates young people to seek a world of unity, and then provides students with and without disabilities with the skills and opportunities to create social change.
- Policymakers and education leaders develop policies and support quality practices to encourage positive school climates with safe and nurturing learning environments for all students.
Unified Champion Schools:
There are three components for a school to become a Unified Champion School:
- Unified Sports
- Youth Leadership and Advocacy
- Whole School Engagement
Is your school interested in the Unified Champion Schools program?
Click Here to fill out a school interest form.
List of Unified Schools:
BRADFORD and TIOGA
BUTLER, MERCER and LAWRENCE
GREATER HARRISBURG (AREA M)